Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Refreshing new group

The other day I was perusing videos on YouTube and came across a young 8-year-old girl who was making a political statement. The irony of the situation was that I was very turned-off by the message, but intrigued with the music at the end.

The music was from a group called “Bastard Fairies” and they have a very interesting sound. You can download their album, “Memento Mori,” from their web site at
http://www.thebastardfairies.com The download is free and the group encourages its free distribution.

The lead singer is named “Yellow Thunder Woman” (her blog says that is her real name, which is the Indian Translation of “Wakinyan Zi Win”) and they have a style which reminds me of a combination of “No Doubt”, "Cranberries", “They Might be Giants”, and “Paul Simon” with an attitude of “The Dead Milkmen.”

“Memento Mori” has 12 tracks and I can honestly say I enjoy just about every one. For the new listener, I would recommend giving track 02-Apple Pie a taste. If you are looking for a seconds, then I would suggest giving “A Venomous Tale” a thorough listening.

I am not sure how long the “Bastard Fairies” have been around, but I hope to hear more from them.

No comments: